Socio-ecological dynamics of human-wildlife interactions
In addition to understanding the consequences of human-wildlife interactions from the perspective of the animal, I am interested in exploring what these growing interactions mean for the people involved. I am also interested in feedbacks and interactions between human and natural systems at larger scales. To this end, I am involved in several collaborative interdisciplinary projects that examine global, regional, and local patterns of human-wildlife interactions. I have been involved in group efforts and publications exploring linkages between war and wildlife outcomes, the social and ecological consequences of hunting-induced defaunation in the tropics, reintroductions of large carnivores, disease spill-over between domestic and wild animals, and socio-ecological dynamics of carnivore-livestock conflict.
- Gaynor, K.M., Fiorella, K.J., Gregory, G.H., Kurz, D.J., Seto, K.L., Withey, L.S., & Brashares, J.S. 2016. War and wildlife: linking armed conflict to conservation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 14(10: 533-542.
- Brashares, J.S. & Gaynor, K.M. 2017. Eating ecosystems. Science 356(6333): 136-137.
- McInturff, A., Miller, J., Gaynor, K.M., & Brashares, J.S. 2020. Patterns of coyote predation on sheep in California: A socio-ecological approach to mapping risk of livestock-predator conflict. Conservation Science and Practice, e175.
- Wilkinson, C.E., McInturff, A., Miller, J., Yovovich, V., Gaynor, K.M., Calhoun, K., Karandikar, H., Martin, J.V., Parker-Shames, P., Shawler, A., Van Scoyoc, A., & Brashares, J.S. 2020. An ecological framework for contextualizing carnivore-livestock conflict. Conservation Biology, Early View.
- Remans, R., Flynn, D.F.B., Declerck, F., Diru, W., Fanzo, J., Gaynor, K.M., Lambrecht, I., Mudiope, J., Mutuo, P.K., Nkhoma, P., Siriri, D., Sullivan, C., & Palm, C.A. 2011. Assessing nutritional diversity of cropping systems in African villages. PLOS ONE 6(6): e21235.
- Kreling, S., Gaynor, K.M., & Coon, C. 2019. Roadkill distribution at the wildland-urban interface. Journal of Wildlife Management 83(6): 1427-1436.
- Impink, E. & Gaynor, K.M. 2010. Understanding sustainability through traditional Maasai pastoral systems in southern Kenya. Consilience: The Journal of Sustainable Development 4(1): 167-180.